Try this new twist on a traditional Canadian recipe. Perfect on a cold winter day. Make sure to season with plenty of freshly ground black pepper.
- ½ pound slab bacon, diced
- 1 leek, diced
- 1 pound green split peas
- 10 cups water
- 1 large carrot, peeled and diced
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 3-4 small potatoes, peeled and diced
- bay leaf
- salt and pepper
- In a medium soup pot, Saute bacon and leek for 5-10 minutes.
- Add peas, bay leaf and water. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat and simmer 30 minutes.
- Add carrot, celery, potato. Simmer until carrots are tender and potato is cooked, about 20 minutes.
- Stir to combine before serving. Season to taste with salt and pepper.