Since purchasing a Vitamix last month, I’ve had some fun converting some of my favourite soup recipes into Vitamix creations. Using a Vitamix not only helps speed along my prep time, but its been key in incorporating even more vegetables into my family’s diet.
Enter one of our favourite family recipes, Borscht. It’s a delicious, feel good, good-for-you, type of soup. Borscht is of european origin, and different cultures have their own “traditional” version of this soup. This Vitamix version, uses unpasteurized Sauerkraut, and if you have a knack for making it, use your homemade kraut, which makes this soup even more delicious and nutritious.
This makes a 4 liter soup pot full, perfect for a family of 4 for dinner. I added some table cream to my bowl before eating, and a sprinkle of fresh dill. Serve with warm crusty buns slathered with butter.
- 6 large beets, roasted
- 2 onions, roasted
- 2 cloves garlic, roasted
- 500 grams sauerkraut, rinsed
- 3 cups packed greens
- 2 litres organic beef stock
- 4 carrots
- table cream
- Coarsely chop beets. Add to blender container with 2 cups stock. Blend until desired consistency is reached. Add to a soup pot.
- Add onions and garlic to blender container. Add 2 cups of stock and blend. Add to soup pot.
- Add sauerkraut and greens to blender container with 2 cups stock. Blend until desired consistency is reached. Add to soup pot.
- Add carrots to blender, along with remaining stock. Blend. Add to soup pot.
- Heat gently over medium low heat.
- Serve with fresh cream and a sprinkle of fresh dill.