A jar of mayo in your fridge is almost symbolic of the start of summer and warmer weather. We make potato salad with it, egg salad, slather it on burgers, and layer it on freshly toasted BLT’s.
But, why should you make it at home?
First of all, it’s not difficult, it only requires a few ingredients, and it is far, far superior in flavour to it’s commercial counterpart. You can make it in a blender, or like I do, using a stick blender.
Try it out… and make some of those amazing Devilled Eggs while you’re at it.
- 1 egg
- ⅛ teaspoon dry mustard
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 cup avocado or grapeseed oil
- Step 1 In a mixing bowl, add egg, mustard, salt and lemon juice.
- Step 2 Using a stick blender, start blending and add a few drops of oil, until the mixture thickens.
- Step 3 Add the remaining oil in a steady stream.
- Step 4 Store covered in the fridge for up to 7 days.