Mix up your pasta night with this delicious, rich comfort food. This is a great weeknight dinner, using packaged gnocchi and topping it with this rich, homemade ragu. Top with parmesan and fresh basil. Enjoy!
Gnocchi with Mushroom & Sausage Ragu
- 4-6 tablespoons olive oil
- 11/2 pounds fresh italian sausage, casing removed
- 2 large shallots, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1½ cups fresh mushrooms, sliced
- ½ cup dry vermouth
- 2- 28 ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 pounds gnocchi
- ½ cup grated parmesan
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Step 1 In a large saucepan over medium heat, heat oil and cook sausage until golden brown. Ensure that sausage meat is broken apart, much like ground beef.
- Step 2 Add shallots, and saute 2-3 minutes. Add mushrooms and cook another 3-4 minutes, stirring frequently. Add vermouth, and cook another 1-2 minutes. Stir well, making sure bottom of pan is scraped clean. Add tomatoes, basil, salt, pepper, and bring to a boil. Lower heat and cook 45-60 minutes. Stirring every 10-15 minutes.
- Step 3 Cook gnocchi according to package directions in salted water. Stir often to prevent sticking. Once cooked, drain and toss with olive oil.
- Step 4 To serve, plate and top with sauce and grated parmesan.