When nature provides you with a bountiful tomato harvest, you must not waste that bounty. So in addition to your normal recipes, please try this. Just adding a lavish spread of this jam on a burger, or spread on top of a wheel of double cream brie, that you bake until oozing is something you will want to make again and again.
Bacon Tomato Jam
- 500 grams thick-cut bacon, chopped
- 1 large yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup pure maple syrup
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons dry mustard
- 1/8 teaspoon dried red chili peppers
- 4 cups fresh ripe diced tomatoes
- 1 bay leaf
- Step 1 Saute bacon in a thick bottomed dutch oven or pot over medium high heat until browned, 5-8 min.
- Step 2 Add onion and garlic. Saute another 5-8 minutes, stirring until onions become translucent.
- Step 3 Add maple syrup, balsamic, mustard, chili and bay leaf. Stir until well combined. Add tomatoes. Reduce heat to medium low. Simmer uncovered. Stirring to ensure that jam doesn’t burn, about 1 hour. Discard bay leaf. Store in a sterilized jar in the refrigerator.