With the end of prime “soup season” in sight, I find myself making as many of these amazing soups as I can. This delicious, satisfying chowder is easy to make, and a new family favourite.
I used President’s Choice frozen Corn and Jalapeno vegetables for this chowder. You could use regular frozen corn, however the jalapeno adds flavour and not a lot of heat.
Don’t have cheddar cheese? Use what you have in the fridge.
The only complaint from my family when I made this soup was that I never make enough of it!
- 1 pound bacon, chopped into ⅛'-1/4' pieces
- 2 medium yellow onions, chopped
- 2 large white potatoes, scrubbed and diced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon dried sage
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 2½ cups table cream
- 3 cups PC frozen corn & jalapeno or frozen corn
- 2 tablespoons dried parsley
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ½ cup dry white wine
- 4 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- fresh cilantro
- In a large saucepan, over medium heat, fry bacon until crisp. Remove bacon from pot. Set aside. Add onion, potatoes, bay leaf, cumin & sage. Cook, stirring 5-8 minutes. Sprinkle flour over ingredients, and stir to combine. Add cream, stirring until combined. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat. Simmer 30 minutes, stirring often. Add corn, parsley, nutmeg and wine. Simmer another 5 minutes. Remove bay leaf and stir in cheese. Heat until melted and corn is warmed. Serve hot, garnished with fresh cilantro